Monday, June 11, 2007

Why I love my Hennessey Hammock

  1. It weighs less than 2 lbs. Beat that with a stick.
  2. No sore back or stiff joints after a night sleeping on the hard ground. Wake up feeling refreshed and ready to hit the trail.
  3. It's so cozy in there, like a little cocoon! I actually missed the feeling of waking up in my hammock the first night back in a real bed after 5 nights on the trail.
  4. If your party includes snorers, you can set up your hammock far enough away to put them out of ear's reach.
  5. You can wake up in the middle of the night to pee, read your book as late or early as you want, and not worry about waking up your traveling partners.
  6. Great service - they replaced problematic accessories for us, no questions asked.
  7. It bears repeating - as comfortable (IMO) as a real bed.
Jealous yet? Check out Hennessy Hammocks online or at your neighborhood REI. I recommend the Ultralight Backpacker Asym.

4 comments:

VM Brasseur said...

Reasons not to enjoy your Hennesey Hammock:

* You can't use it without finding just the perfect two trees
* Sometimes the only two trees available force you to set your hammock up suspended above a nice large patch of poison oak
* Surrounded by air above and below is not a good way to stay particularly warm
* You can't retreat to your hammock, avoiding bugs and rain, to play games with your friends
* A hammock only sleeps one

If I were to do the AT through hike then I'd totally get a hammock. The weight alone would make it worth the expense. Otherwise I'm quite happy with my cute little tent.

ChrissyJ said...

I had planned to write another post at a later date about the considerations when planning a trip with a hammock, but you beat me to it!

You make some good points, Vicky, but I must protest in two cases:
* The trees can be almost any size, and from 12 to 25 feet apart. I've never had any trouble finding a place.
* I personally was never cold during this last trip (in the 30s one night) except for my face - that is a problem in tents too. I think the solution is the right reflective mat underneath you. The website has quite a bit about cold-weather (4 season) camping, if that is your bag.

Eric said...

I was cold this last trip. Not freezing, mind, but cold for certain. Chrissy has the real trick to it, though, since both Nicole and I got cold (and had condensation on our reflectomats), while she didn't. I blame pants.

JoiseyGirl said...

Having just switched to the Hennesey Hammock, I can say with confidence that it beats the tent hands down. I'm never going back to a tent unless there's someone I particularly want to be in a tent with for reasons other than sleeping - which (as much as I like you guys) doesn't include anyone on this blog.

The disadvantages that VMB mentions about the hammonck (having not tried one, I believe) are minor ones, that paralell tent issues:
- tents need fairly level spots that are big enough to pitch the tent and stake it.
- the poison ivy issue is identical for a tent as it is for a hammock.
- pitching a tent in the pouring rain sucks and you're guaranteed to get the inside wet. The hammock (with snakeskins) is beautifully designed to hang and get set up, while staying dry inside.
- retreating into a hammock with a book beats trying to sit on the ground in a tent to play cards
- sleeping on cold ground is also not a good way to stay warm. The reflector did at least as good a job of keeping me warm as a exponentially more expensive thermarest and I was exponentially more comfortable in the hammock.
- Sleeping just one is a plus if you actually want to sleep.

My tent is fairly speedy to pitch, but the hammock (once I figured out what I was doing) was much easier. This thing is a piece of engineering genius.