Sunday, June 17, 2007

Gear Review: The Crazy Creek Original Chair

On Friday I took possession of a royal blue Crazy Creek Original Chair. Today it got it's first field test at the Russian River Blues Festival. An entire day sitting on the ground and rocks in this chair ought to give me a pretty darn good idea of what it can hack.

This chair is small, light and minimal. A closed-cell foam seat and back with adjustable webbing straps to control the incline of the back and support you as you sit. The only frills are a zippered mesh pocket and a mesh bottle holder on the reverse of the seat back. There also is a pair of handles for ease of carrying.

We arrived at the festival at 10:30 am and stayed until about 6pm. Despite the seriously danceable tunes we spent almost the entire time sitting down, so this chair really got a workout. How did it fare?

I had a number of concerns for this piece of equipment. Chief among them were that it would not be comfortable and that the webbing straps would slip when stressed.

It turns out I needn't have been concerned about either of these things. Even after almost eight hours of sitting almost directly on the ground the chair was still comfortable (and, more importantly, my butt was not sore). The webbing straps were real troopers, not giving a bit even when I would recline, putting most of my weight into the back. The entire unit is built very well.

If I were to have one complaint about this gear it's that the thing doesn't breathe at all. The sun was really beating down on us and without any airflow my back and the back of my legs got very sweaty. Considering my surroundings this was not a problem but it might be something others may have to take into account depending upon the venue where the chair will be used.

Overall I am very pleased with this gear. It's very light, very comfortable and I anticipate it will be of great use for me for years to come. I highly suggest it for anyone who spends any time at outdoor events. Furthermore after the performance of this piece I'm very interested in learning more about the Backpacker Lite AIR model, which can be packed down very small and weighs in at under 600g. Sounds promising for those casual weeklong stints in the woods, methinks.

No comments: